Why Mineral Make-up?
Mineral make-up is exactly that – composed of minerals such as mica and zinc oxides. This type of make-up can be used no matter what your skin type or what kind of skin conditions you may have. It is derived only from substances which are found in nature, right down to the color of the make-up itself. Mica in the make-up helps to both conceal wrinkles and reflect light, while zinc oxides offer natural UV protection. As a result, basic mineral make-up acts as a foundation, concealer, powder and sunscreen in a single jar.
One of the best benefits of mineral make-up for your skin is that it cannot enter pores like “oil-free” types, causing the potential release of toxins and moisture. In addition, minerals are unable to support any kind of bacterial growth, meaning that the make-up cannot spoil and does not require any kind of added preservatives – mineral make-up can last for years with no significant degradation to its function.
Differences Between “Normal” and Mineral Make-up
- Mineral make-up is non-comedogenic, meaning it will not block your pores.
- It is anti-inflammatory, providing great coverage even if you have sensitive skin or have undergone cosmetic treatments.
- Free of synthetics or preservatives, along with “filler” found in many other make-up types.
- Water resistant, it will not crease with sweat or run when placed under water.
- Easily applied and light on the skin, resulting in an even tone on your skin.
- Low risk of skin allergies, even if your skin reacts poorly to other kinds of make-up.
Making the Switch
Many consumers who make the change to mineral make-up never go back to their original brands in large part because of the significant difference in weight, performance and overall quality of mineral make-up. There are a number of leading brands on the market currently producing excellent mineral make-up, and it is often the make-up of choice for make-up artists who provide engagement photo and wedding services, as it has significant staying power.